Thursday, April 16, 2009

teens and freedom

Today a younger friend of mine complained about his dad being too protective over him. I've never seen him so pissed in my life! Well, I only knew him for a few months. He's actually pretty mature for his age, so I was surprised that he exploded. Though I'm glad he can confide in me.


I tend to forget how annoying parents get when they're overprotective. Maybe because my parents are hardly like that. Or, not like that anymore since I am already...oops, I wish not reveal my age. Anyways.


While my friend was spilling his heart to me, I started reminiscing about when I was his age (which is not very long ago! Don't start thinking I'm an old goose). I remember whenever I wanted to go out with my friends, I had to be chaperoned by my mom and their moms. Remember, Strawberry?? There was this one time we invited some guy friends out with us too (totally oblivious that our moms were actually following us). Got busted (Duh!). My mom was upset of course. Not because I invited guys out but because I lied to her about going out with my girlfriends only.


Come to think of it.


If I were a mother. I would be worried to let my kid (daughter or son) out with their friends too. Why?

1. Are her/his friends good influence? It is very scary to see teenagers hanging out in alleys. Smoking. Smoking weed. Going to Internet cafe's with spikey haired tattoo-ed people. I seriously wouldn't want my son/daughter to grow up like that. If they really want to do it, they can. When they are no longer financially dependent on me or their dad. By that time they're old enough to make their own decisions on what kind of life they want to live.

2. Where are they going? Can I really trust they are going to watch a movie? Can I really trust they are going to watch a DECENT movie?

3. They are still 'my babies'! Sadistic rapists and kidnappers are running around freely in this unpredictable world! (I object if you said guys cannot be raped too. I remember this case where this sick man kidnapped a boy and shoved a stick up his ass. True story. I swear.) Will they be home for dinner?


Because my kids are my flesh and blood. Of course I would worry, I worry about almost everything what more my own kids? They will always be my babies, even after they've grown white hair and needs a cane to walk (if God allows me to live so long to see my kids grow old! Which is unlikely). Prevention is better than cure. Maybe teens should start seeing things through their parents eyes to see where they're coming from. No parents want to torture their kids for fun (if there is then they can go rot in hell).


But of course parents should also try to see things through their kids eyes. Which is what my next post is going to be about.

0 comments: